Sometime referred to as the "annual exam" the well-woman exam (WW) is an important preventive
health check-up for women. It is not just having a pap smear.
At the WW exam, we generally do the following:
- We review your medical history, especially any changes since your last WW exam.
- We discuss any symptoms you have that concern you, focusing on the Gyn areas such as breast, abdomen, pelvic and vaginal/vulva areas.
- We review the Interval History form you have filled out. You can download this form ahead of time.
- We do a complete Gyn exam including your weight, blood pressure, breast, abdomen and pelvic exam.
- We perform a pap smear if necessary.
- We perform other tests as needed, sometimes a vaginal culture for example.
- We order additional tests as needed such as mammograms, breast or pelvic ultrasounds, blood tests such as our WW panel, urine tests, hormone tests, and others.
- We help you arrange other testing such as pelvic ultrasound, colonoscopy, bone density and more.
- We can refer you to other providers as needed.
- We can arrange follow-up for any problems that were not fully addressed during this visit.